Pages

Thursday, August 8, 2013

Simple DIY sketchbook



I've always envied artists and I often drool over hand drawn sketches. I have often repeated the phrase “Oh, I can't draw.. not even stick people.” but that is a phrase that I rarely say anymore. Over the past few months, I've realized that everyone can draw if only we put our minds to it. Everyone has their own unique style that defines them as an individual. I can't create realistic, photo-quality art, but I do have my own unique style that I am finally proud of. 

Being a writer, I naturally have tons of lined notebooks and journals just laying around my home, just waiting to be filled with musings, poetry, and ideas. I used a few of my journals as practice, but the lines bleed through. Most people probably aren't as bothered by those little blue lines as I am, but I feel it ruins by whole picture. I didn't really want to go out and buy a bunch of blank journals; so, I made my own.

This notebook is super easy to make, and only requires a few common, household items. I'm planning on finding an even sturdier version of this book, and I'll post my findings later. For now, my DIY sketchbook is working perfectly for my daily doodles and random paintings. Here is exactly how I made my sketchbook.


Items Needed:
-paper
-dental floss
-sewing needle
-glue
-paint/magazines/decorating

Steps:
1. Start by taking five sheets of plain paper and folding them in half.
2. Make three holes in the crease of pages with your sewing needle.
3. Sew the book together.
4. Repeat steps 1-3 to make a second book. (You can make as many as you want, I decided to stop with two.)
5. Combine your two paper booklets together using the sewing needle and dental floss.
6. The cover is made with two separate pieces of paper. I applied a far amount of glue to bind the pages together.
7. Let all of the glue dry and then glue the tabs from your cover pages to the first pages of the booklet.
8. Decorate and let everything dry.
9. Enjoy!


Leave all of your questions and comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment